- Curriculum: The school offers a fully international Nursery – Grade 12 curriculum based on sound values, principles and pedagogy that is rigorously assessed against challenging, high performance national and international standards. This is a combination not found elsewhere.
- High Performance Attainment and Progress: Our students’ academic performance is significantly above UK and world averages. Graduating students are enrolled at a range of prestigious universities including MIT, Oxford, Johns Hopkins, London School of Economics. Our IB scores were 6% above the world average in 2013. Many of our middle school and elementary students are attaining levels 3 years in advance of peers in comparable schools. Progress: Every half term the school carefully tracks and evaluates the individual progress of young people and is transparent in the use of this data with students and families to promote continual improvement. Students’ progress is regularly outstanding as judged for the programmed studied. Our students’ Personal Progress: All students are also working towards defined personal goals which are valued, discussed, tracked, developed and celebrated on a regular basis.
- Attendance & Engagement: School attendance is significantly above the average for international schools at 94.9% and rising. Clearly this level of engagement supports both academic and personal progress.
- Our teachers: We place great emphasis on attracting outstanding teachers. In lessons observed to a rigorous standard by highly experienced staff in the autumn of 2013, 90% of learning & teaching was judged as good or outstanding. The school uses this data to plan continuous professional development & coaching for all staff. All staff are fully qualified professionals with at least 5, and an average of 13, years of teaching experience. The excitement and success of the school regularly attracts a very large pool of top applicants when there are vacancies.
- Personalization: The average class size at the school is 14 students. The student to all staff ratio is just 8:1. Because of this, personalization at the school is real – our staff has a comprehensive knowledge of their students.
- Growth: BSW is a vibrant and growing community. Our students represent over 43 nationalities, and come from families, both local and new to the Washington area, who understand the benefits of an international education.
- Health and welfare: All our safety procedures are approved, logged and evaluated regularly to ensure that our children can work, play & learn in a safe and inclusive environment
- Sporting success: The school is increasingly successful at sport and has won inter- school trophies at Volleyball, Distance Running and Soccer within the last 12 months.
- Resources: Our school is an efficient organization which benefits from being within a highly successful group (Nord Anglia Education) of 27 international schools worldwide. We make no additional financial demands on parents (e.g. Capital Campaign or Annual Fund) other than for long distance or residential experiences – for example annual residential, the ski trip, Prague MUN and the Tanzania Experience.
- Parental engagement in learning and community activity is planned, frequent, of quality and highly valued.